Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Discovery Toys

I've recently become a consultant with Discovery Toys and I am so excited to see what opportunites await for me. They do a lot of workshops for teachers and parents and I can't wait to get started. I think what I'm going to do is feature one toy a week that Discovery Toys offers and let you see how it can impact your child's learning. I don't want this to be a "sales" thing. I want it to be an educational thing. You may have this toy at home already and not realize how to utilize it to its full potential. Or you may be needing a toy that helps with a certain skill that you didn't realize was available through Discovery Toys. My very very favorite right now is this"Playful Patterns"
The picture is so small that it's ridiculous, but the idea of the toy is it uses pattern blocks (small shaped blocks) to make pictures. It is geared to kids from ages 4 and up, but we play with it at our house and James can do it pretty well. The toy comes with different puzzles inside to create pictures and also has cards that show you how certain shapes can be put together to form other shapes. For instance two squares can go together to become a rectangle. It includes 34 different designs and is a toy that will last forever. When your child masters all the designs that are included with the toy they will definitely begin creating their own. I had this in my 2nd grade classroom and it was a hit! Perfect for learning shapes, colors, spatial reasoning, etc. Also great for math language, fine motor, hand eye and so much more. It's a good one! Here's a link if you want to read more about it. Plus, you can always click on the Discovery Toy picture on the top right of my blog to go to my website.

No comments: