Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Our Winter Theme

We started our Winter Theme this week and I'm loving it so far. I couldn't decide what to do our on big, blank, back wall so I decided we would make a giant gingerbread house and decorate it. The kids are so excited about it.

They fell in love with the book "The Gingerbread Man" so we made our men yesterday and have hung them on our wall. We will be using that book as our main retelling book for this theme. I'm trying really hard to do lots of repeated readings with the kids and having them retell the story in pretend play, block play, with puppets, and on the flannel board. I know from teaching how important it is to build that reading comprehension with kids so we're trying.

The kids made pattern strips to decorate the outside of our house. It's suppose to look like candy. I'm loving the new found learning of patterns. We hadn't been doing much patterning around here, but I've been trying to work it in every now and then and they are catching on pretty fast.

Here's the boys coloring a little gingerbread book I had from teaching Kinder. It's set to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot".


As always if you need anything that I have please call or email me. I love sharing. We are going to be focusing on animals that hibernate, snowmen, and cold weather related things in addition to our gingerbread house to complete our winter theme.

No comments: