Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Ants Go Marching

Our ant hill is finally starting to come alive. I had been holding off on making any ants because I've ordered live ants and an ant farm for the boys to watch. However, they are loving ants and so we started making a few of them today.

This particular ant gives a little more focus to the three body parts: head, thorax, abdomen. The boys just chose 3 beans and we hot glued them on cardstock.
Then they drew in the 6 legs and the antennae.

Hard at work!

They liked finding a special place on the hill for their ants.

I can't wait for them to learn more about how ant colonies work. I have some great books that we will read, but I want to wait until our live ant farm gets up and going. All the rain certainly brought out some ants in our yard and we'll be looking at some real ant hills, too.

No comments: