Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Learnings

It's only Monday, but I'm including stuff from last week, too so I can officially call this "Weekly Learnings". The boys are constantly wanting to do "school". I've been working every day during nap time coming up with new games and new activities for them. They are hungry for knowledge and I love it!

We've done lots of games to work on number recognition this week. The most influential thing we've done is read, "Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3" about a million times. The boys love that book and have picked up learning their numbers like crazy. Remi is counting higher than he ever has before and James is consistently recognizing numbers to 100. I love a good book. It makes my job easy.

This game they are playing below is super easy to make. I have these little foam squares that I bought at the dollar store and I use them as dice all the time. You can easily write on them with sharpie and make a game for any occasion. Remi is working on recognizing numbers to 6 so he rolled his die, named the number, and then graphed his number on the chart. On James' die I wrote various tens (30, 40, 50, 60, etc). He too had to roll the die, name his number and graph the result. They are so used to playing games like this that it is easy to have both of them playing at the same time even though they are learning different numbers.
I got these great new tongs at Hobby Lobby and put the boys to work today using them. Our playroom was a mess so they cleaned up using the tongs. Worked perfectly. They got a little fine motor practice in while I got a clean room.

I've been using a few things out of the math notebook from the blog 1+1+1=1 (found on my right hand side bar) and we are loving them. Everyday the boys get their folders and pull out a weather graph, their calendars, their sight words/letters, and their daily drawing sheets. I love all of these things for different reasons, but I'm just going to show you the cute little drawings that James did this week. I've been encouraging both boys to think about their drawings before actually starting and finally towards the end of the week both of their drawings started having some real features in them. Here's James' self-portrait that he did on Thursday:


Here's the whole week


And this picture just shows you that James still loves tracing his letters and any time he writes now he write using the "real" letters. I'm amazed and I love all the little papers around the house that have his name written on the top. I don't think Remi will be too far behind on the writing love. He wrote his name today with three seperate characters and an "i" at the end. This learning stuff is so cool!!! I hope you all are having a wonderful week. Please as always email me if you want any of the files of games I've made. Plus, I have all my downloads from other people's blogs so if you want the math notebook and can't find it on her site email me and I'll send it to you.

1 comment:

Wendy Davis said...

Love his drawings!!

Can you e-mail me what you use in your folders. I couldn't find it on her (1+1+1) blog. Thanks for always posting such helpful stuff, you rock!