Sunday, June 3, 2012

My New Guy

There's a new guy in my life. No, Jeremy is not being replaced. We're adding to our home once again and I could not be happier about whom the Lord has chosen for us. I'm always in awe of whom the Lord chooses for our home, but this time he completely outdid himself. My new guy is not a baby. My new guy is not even a child. My new guy, is a guy. He's nearly 12. He's handsome, funny, gentle, friendly, mannerly, and sadly he's an orphan.
My new guy is currently in another foster home, but he has family near here that want to be near him. His family and I are friends and when she told me about my new guy I immediately thought, "Oh my goodness, we have to find a home for this boy. We have to alert our church and let everyone know that he needs a home and he needs a family!" I spent the early part of that day composing an email that would be sent out to our church in hopes of recruiting this child a home. While writing this email I began to hear a still small voice say, "Why can't he come here? Why should he live with someone else?" I had honestly never considered myself in the future of this child. So I repeated the question to my husband, "Honey, why can't he come live here with us?" And my husband said, "He can". (Now let me just say that my love for my husband grew in this moment. What man reacts with such certainty and such love to an 11 year old he doesn't even know? I would dare say very few men).
And so begins our journey with our new favorite 11 year old. There are so many pieces to this puzzle that is being built and I would love to tell you all the details as to how we've now spent the weekend getting to know this guy and how we are now just pacing around the house waiting and yearning for him to be here. But I'm sure all that will begin to come out as the days continue. For now, please pray for our guy. He's not with us yet, and we don't know how long it's going to take to get him here, but we love him already. Pray for his safety. Pray for his heart to be guarded by the Lord and not to let Satan harden it with feelings of loneliness or confusion. Pray for his current foster family that they would take great care of him while he is there and feed him good food and expose him to good things. And lastly, pray for his future. We are bringing him into unknown territory. He will start a new school, make new friends, live in a new home, and begin learning a new life. Pray for our guy and thank you to all of you who have supported us as we try and obey God's call to love our neighbor and take care of the orphan.

1 comment:

The Rowles said...

Wow, Maile, you and your family continue to amaze me! I am so glad for this boy! Good luck with everything!