Friday, October 19, 2012

A quote to ponder

Mother Teresa of Calcutta-
" I never look at the masses as my responsibility; I look at the individual. I can only love one person at a time-just one, one, one. So you begin. I began-I picked up one person. Maybe if I didn't pick up that one person, I wouldn't have picked up forty-two thousand. . . The same thing goes for you, the same thing in your family, the same thing in your church, your community. Just begin-one, one, one".

I'm reading a new book that my mom found for me called, "The Responsibilty Rules: Living a Self-Disciplined Life in a Self-Entitiled World". The quote by Mother Teresa was one I ran across today and it really made me think. The only way someone could get to the point where she has loved 42,000 people was to first love one person. I think this idea is huge for Christians. I think this idea is huge for anyone who has wondered what can I do to help. What can I do to help the orphan? What can I do to help world hunger? What can I do to help my child's school? What can I do to help my state? What can I do to help. . . anyone? The masses are not our responsibility. Whew! What a relief. The idea of the massive number of starving people, orphans, AIDS victims, poor, aborted, sinners, etc. is totally overwhelming. But the idea of loving one other person is totally doable.

Who could you love? What one person could you pick up and love? I encourage you to begin with someone. We are all burdened by some group that is needy. I personally am burdered for the orphan, but some of you are burdened for the poor or the hungry or the disabled. So I ask, are you loving someone? If not, who can you go and love?

No comments: