Monday, October 8, 2012

I Love You Ritual #1

This is the book that I'm reading right now. I highly recommend it to anyone who has children, works with children, has a child on the way, has adopted a child or is seeking adoption, looks at children, and/or lives in a world where children exist. I really like this book and I like what it has to offer: priming a child's brain for learning, helping a child cope with stress, affirming the parent-child bond that insulates children from violence, peer pressure, and drugs, enhances attention and cooperation, and helps busy families stay close. There are so many reasons to read this book!

I'm going to start a new weekly tradition on the blog and I'm going to highlight one ritual every week. I do not have the time to go into why these are important and will not share the ins and outs as to how to implement these the right way, but I will share the ideas with you in hopes that you will try some with your child/children and reap the rewards that come from doing them.

The first one I will share is not necessarily the most important one or my favorite, but it is one that we were able to do with James today and it was a lot of fun.
My Face Has a Gift For You:
Prep and Instructions: This game is similar to the traditional game called, "Pick a hand". In this old favorite, one person puts both hands behind his or her back with a secret object in one hand. Both hands are then brought from behind to be displayed to the person in front. The person must pick a hand to try to locate the object. If the person picks the hand containing the object, he or she gets to keep the surprise.
In this version of the game, you put your hands behind your back, but you are NOT holding an object. Simply put your hands behind your back and then bring them in front of you.
The Game: Ask the child, "Pick a hand, any hand". When the child selects a hand, briefly make a funny face with a noise. You may laugh out loud, giggle, growl, frown, sigh, and so forth. Then put your hands behind your back again. Bring your hands forward and have the child select again. Make another face and continue the game. Keep the pace of this game fairly rapid.

These are the exact directions from the book and the book goes into more detail about why this game is meaningful and how to begin these rituals with your children (may not be successful at first and that's ok). No matter what age, race, sex, or ability level your child will love these, or variations of these, rituals.

Enjoy! Please comment if you try this ritual this week. I have so many more I will share, but I want to try to just do a few new ones a week and repeat them over and over to see which ones my kids love and which ones don't really "float our boat".

No comments: