Friday, November 2, 2012

Math Journals

I started a new thing with the boys this morning and I loved it! Since our writing journals have been such a success, I decided to begin having them do a daily math journal. I did a little bit of this back when I taught and I love how it gives the opportunity for math to be discussed, recorded, and thought about.

The activity that we did this morning was easy yet purposeful. We began by talking about different comparison words: big, little, small, large, heavy, light, etc. Then I had a few objects that I had chosen beforehand to compare to the size of my hand. Some objects were bigger than my hand and some were smaller. Then I sent them out to find objects they could compare to their hands.

Now this could have been done out loud and never recorded, but when you add the element of recording  you actually have to think about it a bit more. While they were recording we discussed the size of the objects, the length, the width, the density, the weight, the color, the shape and through the process of recording we were able to think through their decision of bigger or smaller and speak about lots of vocabulary words. I loved it!

And their work. . . adorable, brilliant, thoughtful. I had them write the beginning letter of what they were recording and then I wrote the word down below. James found a large car, the pointer stick and a pretend shot (I forgot to write shot) that were bigger than his hand and an eyeball and bead that were smaller.
 Remi found a recorder and some tongs that were bigger than his hand and a block and foam letter that were smaller.
 I printed off the paper for them to record on and then they taped it into their journals. I hope to do this daily, but realistically I'm shooting for 3 times a week. I already created about 10 days worth of journals so if you would like them please email me or leave a comment and I'll email them to you.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I would love to have a copy of your math journals, if you don't mind to share!

Courtney said...

my email address is cdgoins42@gmail.com

Courtney said...

I would love to have a copy of your math journals, if you don't mind to share!

Wendy Davis said...

Love them! Can you e-mail me?