Sunday, March 3, 2013

New Journal Writings From the Boys

The boys wrote new stories this week and I could not be prouder of their writing. I dread teaching writing. I didn't like it when I taught in the public school and I don't like it now. It's hard work and it's time consuming, but the end result is worth all the effort. The boys are fantastic spellers and writers and their stories are developing so much. I am in awe of what their little 3 year old brains can do.

Remi's story is of course super organized and neat. He writes clearly and adds detail to his picture plan. Although looking at his picture you could never guess what it is and reading his words you could never read it, but as his teacher I know what it says. That's why I write it down below his words. I love all his little letters. I know that as he gets faster at writing it will be easy for him to add dialogue and details, but for now this is just totally awesome!
" I stayed at Gama and Gampa's house with all my cousins. We played with balloons. Gama cooked pizza. I slept in Charlie's room".
 James' story is of course messy and his plan lacks detail, but that's who and what he is. Once he starts writing he blows me away every time. He is stretching out all his words now and gets more than one sound in most of his words. This of course makes the writing process take FOREVER, but I'm so happy to see him start to grow as a speller. His letters are big and so on his second piece of paper I drew him lines that he stay in between . This helped a lot!
 See, much better!
"Daddy showed me my new t-ball stuff. I played in the back yard. I hit it far and got 3 gummy bears".

Of course the next day we turned these into books and now the boys can read them to themselves and each other for great independent reading practice. This is the hardest part of my day (we don't write every day, but when we do it's hard) but it's so worth it.

No comments: