Monday, March 25, 2013

Pond Unit Preparation

This is what my living room looked like last night after the boys went to bed. I'm done planning for our pond unit and I have about 2 weeks worth of material to use so I'm sooo excited. There is a lot of help out there if you are planning to do a unit study. I first went through all my old teacher files, then surfed Pinterest, then scrolled through some of my favorite homeschooler blogs. After all this, I had plenty of things to choose from.
My emphasis with Terrance will be learning how to read and comprehend non-fiction texts, learning  new vocabulary, drawing diagrams, and understanding how different habitats support the creatures that live there.
 
The boys will be focusing on the features of the habitat, new vocabulary, needs of the animals and how they are met by their habitat.
 
Some things the boys got to do this morning: their new grass sensory tub

 with frogs, turtle, snake, bugs, tweezers, magnifying glass, shovel
 duck observations and journaling, and a

new poem for their poetry notebooks about the frog that lives in the pond. 
 I'm so excited to be doing another unit study. It's been a while since we did a habitat study and all three boys seem to be enjoying it so far.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I am SO impressed by you, friend!! You are one of my mothering heroes. :) I laughed out loud when i saw those ducks in the kitchen sink! Too cute.

I love it when you post about your homeschooling adventures especially now that you are schooling a 12 year old. What richness you are providing for him. Keep up the good work!! I can't wait to come teach your class for a day or two when the baby is born! ;)