Friday, November 14, 2014

Adam Begins Tubs

I've often wondered when Adam would begin doing tubs like James did when he was a tiny tot. I remember the winter of 2010, James was about 19 months old and we were trapped inside for a week. This is when we officially began doing tubs. I was desperate for activities. He was longing to explore and learn. Tubs worked great at meeting both of our needs.
 
I'm kind of in the same place with Adam. He's super curious. He's very smart. He extremely active. This cold weather has trapped us in more than usual and so tubs are a perfect solution to our problem. He's still very young (15 months) but his skill level is high and he adores learning new things. So here we go!
 
Let me first explain the term "tub". A tub, by my definition, is an activity that when introduced is done with a parent and then eventually (if possible) will become an independent activity. Many tubs can quickly become independent, but some cannot.
 
This week he will work on several new tubs and keep some of his puzzles, games and his sensory tub from past weeks. The muffin tray will be a new tub for him. This will never be an independent tub for him because of the glass stones (choking hazard); however, he will adore this tub because he loves putting things into compartments. He has used large muffin tins before, but this little tin will be new for him as well as the stones. They are slippery, which will cause him to use a little more fine motor skill, and they are hard and glass, which makes for a very fun noise when dropped in the tin.
 I cut an old formula can lid for his next tub. He will stuff pom poms into the lid and then most likely turn it over and shake them out. If this is too easy I will cut another lid with a smaller hole that he actually has to poke the pom poms into. We'll see how he does first. This will definitely be an independent task before long.
 His next tub is tissue paper and a water bottle. He will stuff the tissue paper inside the water bottle and that will be it. I have 7 stacks of tissue paper cut and 7 water bottles ready in case he likes this and wants to do it each day.
 This banging toy has been available to him for a while and he loves it. I will keep this out on his shelf this week as an independent game he can play. He loves to bang on it, but he also loves pulling the pegs out and putting them inside his milk jug (seen below).
 This milk jug has been a favorite of his for a very long time. He changes up what he puts into it, but here lately he has loved dice. Don't message me and tell me about the choking hazard of the dice. It doesn't matter how many times I hide the dice he finds them. He's obsessed! He carries them around the house constantly and loves throwing them across the hard tile. He's good to not put them in his mouth so for now he can keep them.
 This is a new puzzle I got for him that he likes. It will stay on his shelf this week.
 This is the pegboard from Discovery Toys. I adore this toy more than most. It has SOOO many uses and for now Adam loves dumping it out, putting the pegs into the holes, and leaving it scattered every where. We will one day use this for color practice, counting practice and patterns, but for now he just loves to explore it. I probably see him play with this about 6 times a day.
 This will stay out as well. He has had this sensory tub for about 6 weeks and he plays with it multiple times a day. We scoop, we throw, we taste, we rub, etc. I have spoons and cups close by for him to do whatever he wants with it. I am in the process of making him a new tub with dried beans and some fall toys. I'll show that on my next tub post.
Hope he loves his tubs this week. I'm so excited that he is ready for this fun phase of learning. I've missed having the little tubs to make each week. 

No comments: